Prev Table of Contents Next
Then: 37 N. Main Street, 1870, Now: Tree next to Hall Auditorium
From when it was built in 1870 to 1919, the Oberlin city hall was located on North Main Street midway between Lorain and College streets. It was also home to the fire department, with the horses that pulled the fire equipment stabled at the back of the building. The lot was sold to Oberlin College in 1919 and the building was torn down, though some of its materials were used in the construction of the then-new town hall on South Main Street.
Source: From the Tappan Square History Walk Manual, located at the Oberlin Heritage Center
Photo courtesy of Oberlin Heritage Center