Summer College Student Intern
The Oberlin Heritage Center is hiring for a part-time student internship in the summer of 2017. The job will run for 10 weeks at approximately 25 hours a week (some flexibility is available). Expected wage is $10 an hour.
The Summer Intern would be responsible for helping staff and volunteers lead tours, prepare and implement public programs, and maintain historical and administrative records. We are very interested in helping interns meet personal interest and skill goals as far as is feasible. Assigned duties may include the following:
- Giving tours of the Heritage Center's three buildings
- Assisting with research projects and information requests
- Greeting the public, answering phones, and other administrative duties
- Assisting with some special events and youth programs
- Other duties as assigned
- Be actively enrolled in a college or university
- Work well independently and with other staff, interns, volunteers, and the public
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrate organizational skills
- Be flexible and productive despite interruptions
- Have a professional appearance
- Climb stairs frequently due to the layout of our historic buildings
- Work some weekend hours
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally
- General office, non-profit organization, or work experience with the public and volunteers preferred but not required.
- Interest, training and experience in museums, preservation, history, architecture, and education preferred.
To Apply (by April 29, 2017):
Please submit a cover letter and resume including three references to Amanda Manahan at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail materials to P.O. Box 0455, Oberlin, OH 44074.
This internship is funded by grants from Nordson Corporation and the Community Foundation of Lorain County.
Oberlin High School Junior Intern
Thanks to a generous donation from Nordson Corporation, the Oberlin Heritage Center is hiring an Oberlin High School student employee this summer! If you want to learn more about the community, meet new people, learn professional skills, and earn money, then this might be the job for you! Applicants should be team players who take pride in the quality of their work.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with youth camps and group visits
- Greet visitors at the museum and community events
- Complete a research project
- Help with museum work
Who can apply: Students enrolled in the Oberlin City School District who will be 16-18 years old by June 10, 2017.
Job duration: June 14-August 12 (9 weeks), 225 hours total
To Apply, submit the following by April 15, 2017:
- 1-2 page letter of interest describing why you want the position and why you are qualified
- Complete the Volunteer Application or provide a resume with contact information for two references
Email materials to Amanda Manahan, Museum Education and Tour Coordinator, at email@example.com or mail to the Oberlin Heritage Center.
Consider volunteering or interning with us. Though sometimes unpaid, these positions will allow you to learn about museum work and history from the staff of a nationally-accredited small history museum.
Hundreds of people generously donate their time and skills to our organization every year. They give tours, serve on committees, balance the cash drawer, help us preserve buildings and artifacts, answer phones, prepare bulk mailings, do research, and perform many many other essential tasks.
Students from Oberlin College and other area colleges have worked for us in a variety of capacities: as volunteers, Bonner Scholars, work-study students, and summer interns. Students gain valuable skills and knowledge during their work here. Interns participate in a variety of tasks – they give tours, help staff our office, assist with research projects such as the Oberlin Historic Inventory and the Oberlin Oral History Project, catalogue and care for collections, help at special events, and maintain history resource databases. Students from all areas of study are encouraged to apply–you need not be a history major (although you certainly may be)!