Prev Table of Contents Next
Then: 159 Woodland Street, 1948, Now: Barrows Dorm, 1956, Potter, Tyler, Martin & Roth
Secured through Federal Public housing Administration as temporary housing. The cost to the Government was $130,000, instead of the $70,000 originally estimated. The building was brought to Oberlin in 1947 from Willow Run Barracks, Michigan, and converted into a 202-man dormitory. It was voted to name the building “Federal Hall” by Prudential Committee on February 26, 1947 but was called “the Spider” unofficially.
Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives
Photo courtesy of Oberlin College Archives