Oberlin Then and Now: Fairchild Cottage

Prev   Table of Contents   Next

Historic photo of Fairchild Cottage  Present day view of Fairchild Dorm

Then: 87 Elm Street, 1841, Now: Fairchild Dorm, 1950, Eldredge Snyder


The former residence of President James Harris Fairchild, a gift by bequest to the College, was remodeled in the summer of 1916 for the purpose of a house of residence for women. It provides rooming accommodations for sixteen women, who take their meals at Baldwin Cottage. The house was built in 1841 by the College Farmer, purchased by President (then Professor) Fairchild in 1849, and occupied by the Fairchild family until 1902. The Fairchild House is probably the oldest structure in use for College purposes at the present time. [Fairchild House was torn down in the last two weeks of June, 1948 to make room for a women’s dormitory of the same name.]

Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives

Photo courtesy of Oberlin College Archives