Oberlin Then and Now: Embassy 

Prev   Table of Contents   Next

Historic photo of Embassy  Present day view of Bailey House

Then: 210 N. Professor Street, 1907, Now: Bailey House, 1968, Moore & Hutchins


The property at 210 North Professor Street came into the possession of the College by purchase from the Pope sisters, who had conducted it for many years as a private boarding house for college women. This use continued until 1932, when the College purchased the property and changed it to be a residence and dining hall for men. This use continues. Since 1933 it has been known as “The Embassy.” Thirty-five men are accommodated for rooms in this house, and there are table board accommodations for twenty-five additional men. [In 1952-54, Embassy was used as a boarding house for women. Other nicknames for Embassy include “The Vatican,” “The Monastery,” and “Graduate House.” Embassy was discontinued as a College dormitory in 1963.]

Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives

Photo courtesy of Oberlin Heritage Center