Oberlin Then and Now: Elmwood Cottage 

Prev   Table of Contents   Next

Historic photo of Elmwood Cottage  Present day view of South Dorm

Then: 117 Elm Street, 1870, Now: South Dorm, 1964 Potter, Tyler, Martin & Roth 


 Burroughs Cottage, a name given by the Kindergarten Association, located at 117 Elm Street, was acquired by the College from the Kindergarten Training School in 1932, and continued to be used as a house of residence for Kindergarten students during the year 1932-33. It was then taken over for use as a College hall of residence for women, and its name changed to Elmwood Cottage. For three years it has been conducted on the cooperative plan. It furnishes living quarters for twenty women and accommodation for board for forty-five additional students. The house was built in 1870 by Professor G.W. Shurtleff. [Elmwood was rehabilitated as a social center in 1959 and torn down in 1962.]

Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives

Photo courtesy of Oberlin Heritage Center