Oberlin Then and Now: Ellis Cottage

Prev   Table of Contents   Next

Historic photo of Ellis Cottage  Present day view of back of Kade Dorm

Then: 104 Forest Street, 1863, Now: Back of Kade Dorm, 1968, Moore & Hutchins


The former home of Professor John Millott Ellis was purchased by the College in 1906. In the summer of 1914 it was remodeled for college purposes and used as a house of residence for women. It accommodates fifteen women, who take their meals elsewhere. Professor Ellis had an official connection with Oberlin College extending over thirty-seven years, as Teacher, Professor of Greek, Professor of Philosophy, and for one year as Acting President. [Ellis Cottage was discontinued as a woman’s dormitory in 1949 and later used as a faculty house. It was demolished, according to the 1964/65 annual report.]

Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives

 Photo courtesy of Oberlin Heritage Center