Oberlin Then and Now: Webster Hall

Prev   Table of Contents   Next

Historic photo of Webster Hall  Present day view of Methodist Church addition

Then: 51 S. Professor Street, 1906, Now: Methodist Church addition, 1968, Thomas Vaugg


Webster hall, at 51 South Professor Street, came to the College from the Kindergarten Association in 1932, and was used for the year 1932-33 as a dormitory for women in the Kindergarten Training School. It was remodeled and opened as a college hall of residence in 1933. It accommodates thirty-four women, who take their meals elsewhere. This house was built as a private boarding hall by Mr. Frederick Webster in 1906. [Webster Hall was demolished in May-June 1968.]

Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives

Photo courtesy of Oberlin Heritage Center