Oberlin Then and Now: Barr House

Prev   Table of Contents   Next

Historic drawing of Barr House  Present day view of Mudd Center Parking Lot

Then: 180 W. College Street, 1888,  Now: Mudd Center parking lot


The property at 180 West College Street was purchased by the College in 1928, the house having been used for many years as a private residence. It was remodeled for use as a house of residence for Freshman men and was opened by the College in the fall of 1929. It accommodates eleven men. [Barr House was remodeled into faculty apartments in 1947. The building was named for Mrs. Ruth W. Barr, the first director.]

Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives

Illustration courtesy of 1943 Hi-O-Hi Yearbook