Sept. 23 - Root Beer & Yesteryear, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Join friends old and new at the Oberlin Heritage Center on Saturday, September 23 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. for this family-friendly (and FREE!) event featuring live music performances, historic portrayals, old-fashioned games, exhibits and best of all -- root beer floats for everyone! Why root beer? Throughout most of its history Oberlin was a "dry" town, meaning you couldn't buy alcohol within city limits. Times have changed but a fondness for this summer treat hasn’t. The floats are generously provided by Oberlin IGA, while free popcorn is made possible by the Oberlin Athletic Boosters Club and Bethany Hobbs.
- 1:30 p.m. - Piano performance on the 1880 Sohmer & Co. piano in Jewett House by Oberlin Conservatory student Leo Lu.
- 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. - Outdoor music by “The Front Porch Swatters”
- 2:30 p.m. - We are delighted to welcome back Mrs. Sarah Jane Leary Evans (portrayed by Camille Hamlin Allen) for a brief meet, greet, and update in the Little Red Schoolhouse. Mrs. Evans is visiting on behalf of the Wilson Bruce Evans Home Historical Society
- Historic games at the Little Red Schoolhouse for the young and young-at-heart.
- A Little Red Schoolhouse Coloring Page (Artwork by Zaria Amerson) will be available at the event and is also downloadable here.
- OHC Trustee Fr. Brian Wilbert will be bringing a display of antique phonographs as well as his Ford Model T.
- A display of vintage cameras, arranged by OHC Communications Coordinator Steven Rice.
- Various raffles and prize baskets
Volunteers are still needed!
Please contact Liz Schultz at [email protected] or (440) 774-1700 if you can help make this event possible! We need volunteers in 2-hour shifts between 12:30 and 4:30 p.m. to greet guests at the information table and supervise games at the Little Red Schoolhouse.