Glider-Papworth House 1905
270 North Professor
Designed and built by Fred Glider, an Oberlin carpenter. His daughter, Margaret Papworth, administrative assistant in the Oberlin College Conservatory for 51 years, was born in the house and lived here all her life. House remains in its original form. Wood vernacular style. Colonial Revival, Tuscan columns, slate roof.
Jewett House 1884
73 South Professor
Home of Frank Fanning Jewett, Oberlin College chemistry professor and teacher of Charles Martin Hall, and his wife Frances Gulick Jewett, who wrote several books on personal and community hygiene. House now part of the Oberlin Heritage Center and open for tours. Architecture marks transition from Italianate to Queen Anne style. National Register of Historic Places.
Monroe House 1866
73 South Professor (rear)
First Oberlin home of General Giles Shurtleff, town’s leading Civil War hero, later a classics professor at Oberlin College. After 1870 the home of James Monroe, Oberlin College professor abolitionist, fund-raiser, orator, state representative and senator, American consul in Brazil and Congressman (1870-1880). In 1865 he married Julia Finney, daughter of Oberlin College president Charles Grandison Finney, and she lived in the house until her death in 1930. For 20 years Dr.A.C.Siddall gynecologist, had his office in the house. In 1960, to make way for a new Oberlin College Conservatory building, the house was moved 100 yards to its present location. (see Monroe-Bosworth House, 1857). House now part of the Oberlin Heritage Center and open for tours. [The Oberlin Heritage Center] has its headquarters there. Fine example of Italianate style.
Little Red Schoolhouse 1837
73 1/2 South Professor
First schoolhouse for children of Oberlin, originally built near site of First Church, later used as dwelling on South Main. Restored in 1958, moved to present site in 1997. Pioneer-era one-room school. House now part of the Oberlin Heritage Center and open to the public for tours.
Johnson House and Barn 1885
216 South Professor
Home of Albert H. Johnson, banker, railroad president, Oberlin’s most prominent capitalist. Now an Oberlin College dormitory. Elaborate example of Queen Anne style, with tower, bay windows, columned porch, stick work. National Register of Historic Places.
Dascomb House 1853-1854
227 South Professor
Home of James Dascomb, Oberlin College science professor, whose wife, Marianne Dascomb, was head of college’s women’s department. House originally stood across the street on site of Albert Johnson House. For many decades home to Oberlin College professor of English Warren Taylor and his wife Adele, leader in several community organizations. Gothic Revival style, with pointed-arch windows, bargeboards. Oberlin’s finest Gothic Revival house. National Register of Historic Places.
Prucha-Macha House c. 1873
288 South Professor
P.R. Tobin, harness maker, the first identified owner of this house, lived here in 1873-1874. Long-term residents were Vaclav Prucha, a tailor, and his family (1908-1942). Other residents include City Council Clerk Mary Macha, and her husband Victor (1956-1961). Classic upright and wing brick farmhouse, two-story gable entry with one-story wing; arched windows and 10-paned bay window.
Breck House 1897
23 South Prospect
Home of F. H. Breck, manufacturer of unfermented wine. The Reverend Nathan Wesley Grover and his wife Frances purchased the house in 1907. Their son Frederick Grover taught botany at Oberlin College, and their daughter, Eulalie Osgood Grover was a noted author of children’s books. Later occupants included Oberlin Conservatory Professor of Organ Frederick Stiver and Dr. L. H. Trufant, long-time family physician, president of Allen Hospital and the Lorain County Medical Society and a founding member of the Oberlin Rotary Club. Queen Anne-Colonal Revival transitional style.
Reamer Place 1908
In the spring of 1908, C.D. Reamer announced plans for a residential development on the western edge of town near the site of an abandoned racetrack. A former Oberlin merchant living in Tennessee, he returned to organize the venture with his son, architect Daniel A. Reamer. They envisioned a sequence of elegant homes on spacious lawns along a macadam street, with a massive stone gateway at one end, a small circular park at the other, and a delivery drive wrapped around the backdoors. It was an attractive scheme: the lots sold quickly, and the first houses went up that summer.
Savage House 1908
Home of Charles W. Savage, Oberlin College student and football player in the 1890s and later the college’s first director of athletics. He worked to make amateur competitive athletics an integral part of a college education. Purchased in 1960 by Harold Gibson, teacher in Westlake schools, and Martha Gibson, music teacher in Oberlin public schools, who lived here with their family for many years. His late stick-and-shingle Queen Anne house with flared, curved second-story shingles, designed by Cleveland architect Charles Hopkinson, was the first built on Reamer Place. Architect Stanley Mathews designed a series of fire-escape porches at the back of the house to accommodate student roomers.
Holmes House 1921
Home of Oberlin College chemistry professor Harry Nicholls Holmes and his family from about 1921 to 1956. Subsequent residents include Doctors Joseph and Dorothy Luciano -- he a pediatrician at the Oberlin Clinic and she a neurophysiologist -- and in 1995 Oberlin College associate vice president David Love. A good example of four over four Colonial Revival; center door has fanlight and sidelights.
Thompson-Fiske House 1908
A number of Oberlin College professors lived in this home since its construction in 1908. Early on this house belonged to George Walter Fiske, a professor of Theology and religious education in the Graduate School of Theology. He pioneered in teaching religious education and sociology as background for church social work. Later the home housed Dr. Whitelaw Morrison, a professor of hygiene and physical education. During the 1950s - 1980s Robert Dixon and his family lived here. Robert was a professor of Psychology as well as the Assistant Dean of the College.Later the home also housed executive director of Shansi Carl Jacobson.(Shansi is an Asian-American educational exchange program on the Oberlin College campus.) This is an Arts and Crafts style bungalow with broad roof extending over porch and brackets under the eaves.
Geiser House 1919
Home of Professor Carl Geiser, who in 1907 was appointed the first professor of political science and chairman of that new department at Oberlin College. He was instrumental in beginning the city manager form of government in Oberlin in 1923 and served on City Council from 1926 to 1931. Son of German immigrants, he supported Germany in both World Wars and was awarded the Order of the German Eagle by Hitler in 1938, which intensified anti-Geiser feelings in Oberlin. He retired from Oberlin College in 1935 and continued to live in the house until his death in 1951. His second wife, Florence, lived in the house until the 1960s. Colonial Revival with Mediterranean-style addition.
Fitch House c.1938-1939
Home of Florence Mary Fitch, who became the first American woman to earn an MA and Phd in Philosophy from the University of Berlin. She acted as Dean of College and Graduate Women and also founded the "Women's League" at Oberlin. She was involved in the First Church in Oberlin, Oberlin Community Chest, Community Center, Women's Club and League of Women Voters. The house was built in the Tudor/English Revival style.
Tucker House 1935
One of several Oberlin houses built by John Bernard Annable. Until the late 1960s home to Oberlin College physics professor Forest G. Tucker and his family. In 1970 professor of religion H. Thomas Frank and his family moved in. Colonial Revival four over four style; porches on east and west elevations.
Rogers House 1908
Home of Oberlin College professors Charles(zoology) and Rose(German) Rogers from 1916 until 1950. Subsequent residents include Leonard C. Barr, vice president of Nelson Stud Welding Co. in Lorain and executive vice president of Gregory Industrial; and Ernie Roberts of E.H. Roberts Company. Tudor Rvival style, with simulated half-timbering. Architect: probably Daniel A. Reamer, son of the developer of Reamer Place.
Shipherd Circle 1950s
Original named College Park, Shipherd Circle was Oberlin's first post-Second-World-War planned residential development. President William E. Steveson saw an urgent need for good housing to attract and retain college faculty members in a time of postwar inflation. To help meet this need, the college acquired a large tract of land on the eastern edge of town known as the Caskey farm. The Federal Housing Authority provided a curvilinear street plan for the site, free of sidewalks in deference to the automobile. Street paving and utility costs were eased by a college loan, and half the lots marked out were reserved for sale to college faculty and staff. Construction began in 1950; the earliest houses were built on the southern arc of the circle.
Leduc House 1953
Home of history professor Thomas H. LeDuc and his wife Kathryn K. LeDuc, lecturer in English at Oberlin College, who lived here 40 years. Max Ratner was the architect of this Mid-century Modern house and of several other houses in Oberlin. Ratner came to Oberlin in 1947 to partner with Douglas Johnson, an architect and friend from college days. Ratner and Johnson used the term, ''Contemporary'' to describe their work. Their houses were mostly built on concrete slab, with a low roof, wide eaves and ribbon windows. The angled gable roof is the most visible feature of this L-shaped house, with rows of windows following the roofline.
Berman-Lermond House 1958
Home to viola professor William Berman and his family through 1970. Subsequent residents include Harbison Pool, employed by the local school system and Oberlin College; and Charles A. Lermond, owner of the Loom Shed weaving shop at 16 S. Main Street, and his wife Martha, secretary for the chemistry department at Oberlin College. Mid-century Modern style with one-story gabled roof that slopes down in the rear, all windows in the house are awning windows.
Wilson Evans House 1856
33 East Vine
Home of Wilson B. Evans, African-American carpenter and cabinetmaker, participant in the Wellington Rescue, and brother‑in‑law of Lewis Leary who died at Harpers Ferry. Gathering place for African-American community and local abolitionists. Italianate style. Porch added in 1927. National Register of Histroic Places and National Historic Landmark.
Wack-Dietz House 1847
43 East Vine
Home of Chauncey Wack, tavern keeper and prominent Democrat, witness in trial of Wellington Rescuers. Later the home of the Dietz family. Father Peter Dietz was a famous early 20th-century “labor priest.” Greek Revival style with later Italianate wing.
Weltzheimer-Johnson House 1950
Built for Mr. and Mrs. Charles Weltzheimer and restored in 1968 by Ellen Johnson, Oberlin College art professor. Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright, who promoted vision of modern Usonian homes built close to nature; with open family space adjacent to kitchen and fireplace; no formal dining room, garage, basement, or gutters; and little paint, plaster, or trim. This Usonian house has brick and redwood walls, flat roof, and interior long low-ceilinged bedroom corridor with unique ornamentation along clerestory and eaves. House now owned by Oberlin College, and tours are offered through the Allen Memorial Art Museum.