OHC offers plenty of on-going or one-time event volunteer opportunities
OHC Information Tent at Oberlin Community and Special Events
Volunteers are needed for two-hour shifts to staff the Oberlin Heritage Center’s welcome/ literature table for:
- Commencement/Reunion Weekend (May 22-24 / Friday - Sunday),
- Juneteenth (Saturday, June 13)
- Chalk Walk (Saturday, June 20)
- Family Fun Fair (Saturday, August 1)
To sign up call (440) 774-1700 or e-mail Museum Education and Tour Coordinator Amanda Manahan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OHC Grounds Clean-Up Day
Join a merry band of volunteers for an hour or two on Saturday, May 16 (9 a.m. - 12 noon) and help spruce up the grounds for the busy summer visitor season. To sign up call (440) 774-1700 or e-mail Executive Director Liz Schultz at email@example.com.
Docent / Tour Guide Training Opportunities
OHC tour docents get to share Oberlin's history with thousands of visitors every year. We do ask volunteers to commit to leading at least four tours or history walks per year. Training is free and begins at the Monroe House. Prior to training, arrange to take a free tour to see what the fun is all about. To register or reserve a free advance tour, call (440) 774-1700 or e-mail Museum Education and Tour Coordinator Amanda Manahan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upstairs / Downstairs Guided Tour: Small Town, Big Stories / April 18 (Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.) Learn how to present an engaging 75-minute tour through the Heritage Center’s three historic buildings while sharing stories of the community and college in its first century, from the 1833 founding through the turn of the 20th century. Register by April 14. Training begins at The Monroe House. Register on-line or e-mail Amanda to show your interest.
- Freedom’s Friends History Walk / April 25 (Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon) Learn about Oberlin's role in the history of abolition and the Underground Railroad and how to present it in the format of a 90-minute walking tour through historic neighborhoods surrounding downtown Oberlin. Register by April 21. Training begins at The First Church. Register on-line or e-mail Amanda to show your interest.
- Oberlin Architecture Tour Interested in learning how to lead the Architecture Tour of downtown Oberlin - the newest of OHC's tours? Contact Amanda at email@example.com.