Oberlin Then and Now: Sturges Hall

Prev   Table of Contents   Next

Historic photo of Sturges Hall  Present day view of Conservatory of Music

Then: Struges Hall, 1884, Now: Conservatory of Music, 1964, Minoru Yamasaki


The erection of Sturges Hall was begun in the fall of 1883, and completed in 1884. The total cost was $13,000. The architects were Messers, Coburn and Barnum, of Cleveland. It provides an assembly room on the first floor, and two society rooms on the second. For a number of years after the completion of Sturges Hall it was used primarily as an assembly room for the young women, but since 1907 this assembly room as been used for recitation purposes for large classes in the College of Arts and Sciences. The building was named for Miss Susan M. Sturges, the principal donor. [Sturges Hall was remodeled in 1952 and demolished in 1963 to make way for new Conservatory buildings.]

Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives

Photo courtesy of Oberlin Heritage Center