Prev Table of Contents Next
Then: 79 N. Main Street, 1881, Now: Allen Memorial Art Museum, 1917, Cass Gilbert
Stewart hall was a two-story brick building, used for many years as a private residence. It was first rented by the College in 1880, and was purchased March 10, 1881 at a cost of $5,000, which included an additional log. It was located at the southeast corner of Main and Lorain Streets. Stewart hall was a dormitory for women, and provided rooms for thirty women, with table accommodations for the same number of men. In operating Stewart hall the aim was to keep the prices at the lowest possible figure. It was named Stewart Hall in memory of one of the founders, Mr. P.P. Stewart, for the maintenance of his principles of economy. It was torn down in 1915 to provide a site for the Allen Art Building.
Source: From the 1936 Alumni Catalogue and a set of building cards created by the College Secretary's office, both located at the Oberlin College Archives
Photo courtesy of Oberlin College Archives